bobspence

What amount should I enter into Box 14 for 1099-R in TurboTax when their is nothing entered on my mailed copy? There are amounts listed in Boxes 1 and 2a.

I received a form 1099-R from my pension provider.  The form has different amounts listed in Boxes 1 and 2a.  The form does not list an amount in Box 14.  Should I enter the amount from Box 1 or 2a or none at all?

Retirement tax questions

If there is no state tax withheld in box 12, then leave all boxes 12-14 blank.   If there is box 12 withholding then box 13 must have the state ID and issuers tax ID number.    Box 14 would be blank unless there was tax withheld for two states, then box 14 would shoe the amount of box 1or 2a that was taxable in each state.   If only one state then a blank box 14 indicates that the box 1 or 2a amount applies

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
alan615

Retirement tax questions

Doesn't help at all.  The 1099R from OPM has NO box 14 on it at all, so there is no clearly identified number to enter even though I had state tax withheld.

Retirement tax questions

@alan615 - This is a 3 year old post about a 1099-R, not a CSA 1099-R which is different and has a different TurboTax interview.  Choose the CSA 1099-R type.
**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
crm1

Retirement tax questions

My 1099-R from Fidelity has blank Box 14. Final check at E-fiel submission now flags that as an error.   Looked back and this has been the case for years.  I called Fidelity and they were adamant that Box 14 should be blank per instructions.  This is a Turbotax error.  Period.  If NYS has forced the question, an issue between TurboTax and NYS to be resolved.  Regardless, they should not be forcing filers to "make up" the contents of Box 14.  That is completely bogus.

Retirement tax questions

@CRM - this is a 3 year old post but NY will not allow a blank box 14.

It is  NY requirement.    Putting the box 1 (not box 2a) amount in box is not "making it up".   When there in only one state listed in box 13, then it is understood that the state distribution is the *same* as the federal distribution, so financial institutions just leave box 14 blank because a blank box 14 means the same at the box 1 amount.

NY (and another state in 2018) will reject a e-file with a blank box 14.    There is nothing that TurboTax can do about that.

If you do not want to put the box 1 amount in box 14, then print and mail the return and call the NY tax authority and complain to them.  

And Fidelity gave you incorrect information.   The 1099-R instructions say: "In boxes 14, you may enter the amount of the state or local distribution."    "Entering" a distribution is not a blank box.   NY is reading the instructions to require an entry.

[quote]
Boxes 12–17. State and Local Information

These boxes and Copies 1 and 2 are provided for your convenience only and need not be completed for the IRS. Use the state and local information boxes to report distributions and taxes for up to two states or localities. Keep the information for each state or locality separated by the broken line. If state or local income tax has been withheld on this distribution, you may enter it in boxes 12 and 15, as appropriate. In box 13, enter the abbreviated name of the state and the payer's state identification number. The state number is the payer's identification number assigned by the individual state. In box 16, enter the name of the locality. In boxes 14 and 17, you may enter the amount of the state or local distribution.
[end quote]

<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.irs.gov/instructions/i1099r">https://www.irs.gov/instructions/i1099r</a>
crm1

Retirement tax questions

Thanks for the response.  However, to say this is not a Turbotax error is incorrect.  During 1099-R entry if there is a requirement for data in Box 14, then Turbotax should ask for that at that time, with guidance as to what should be added to the data provided by the issuer.  A block at time user hits ENTER to final E-file is not the answer.  Although this is an old thread, apparently the relevance is current.  I have read the IRS instructions and agree what data ought be in there.  

Retirement tax questions

Probably 99.99999% of all 1099-R's have a blank box 14.  As I said, that is the way financial institutions prepare the form and a bland box 14 is understood by everyone (except NY) to be the same as box 1.  It is not a requirement to enter anything not on the form.   In the past, when you e-filed NY with a blank box 14, NY (not TurboTax) would reject it, so TurboTax added an error check if a NY state return was included to help prevent the rejection.    When NY rejected it, user did  not know what to do to fix it.    Until the  NY state section is completed, TurboTax will not flag the box 14 for NY.
crm1

Retirement tax questions

Again, appreciate your help.  Turbotax can do a better job with this. Clearly it is as simple as Turbotax auto-filling the field on NY returns.  Block on final E-file after passing all checks and audits is clumsy at best.  I suppose calling poor Turbotax design vs an error is valid.

Retirement tax questions

I agree that it could be done better, with an explanation, but that is the reason.

Retirement tax questions

Thanks to all for weighing in on the 1099-R Box 14 New York State fiasco. I got hung up on this last year and had to file an amended paper return to NYS. I brought this issue up to both NYS and TurboTax. I just received my 2019 Fidelity 1099-R. Box 1-2 = $2000, Box 12 = $1980, Box 14 blank. According to NYS, Box 12 cannot be greater or equal to Box 14. Hopefully, NYS and TurboTax has resolved this. If unresolved, I will check carefully before submitting and put $2000 into Box 12 if necessary.

But really TurboTax, can't you send a representative to NYS and fix your software to so that Boxes 12 and 14 play nicely together?

Retirement tax questions

There is NO box 14 on the 1099R. Any idea what then?

AmyC
Expert Alumni

Retirement tax questions

Generally, the program carries the information to your state for you. Box 12 is the state tax withheld. Box 14 is the state distribution.

If box 12 is blank, do nothing.

If you have a box 12 amount, you can fill in the taxable state amount for box 14; but, you also need a state ID for box 13. You can contact the issuer and ask for that information.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Retirement tax questions

@Two2Rehls wrote:

There is NO box 14 on the 1099R. Any idea what then?

Are you sure that it is a regular 1099-R and not a CSA-1099-R, CSF-1099-R or RRB-1099-R that do not have a box 14 and must be selected as the 1099-R type.

1099-R type.jpg

Retirement tax questions

There is NO box 14 on the Ohio Public Employees Retirement System  form 1099-R  (not any other form!)
There is a gross box 1with entry, and a taxable box 2a with entry.... NO BOX 14 even tho there is state tax withheld box 12 with entry.
   Thanks for your help!