QD

How to report over contribution in 401K for 2017 on 2017 tax return without a 1099R

Rachel_W
Expert Alumni

Retirement tax questions

You can report the excess contribution to your 401K on line 7 of your 2017 Tax Return without a Form 1099-R by following these steps: 

• Click on the "Federal Taxes" Tab
  • Click on the "Wages & Income" Tab
  • Click on "I'll choose what I work on"
  • Scroll down to "Less Common Income"
  • Select "Miscellaneous Income" and click Start or Update
  • Select "Other income not already reported on a Form W-2 or Form 1099" and click on Start
  • Answer the Question "Did you receive any other wages?  Yes
  • Click through the questions until you get to "Any Other Earned Income"
  • Answer Yes to "Did you earn any other wages?
  • Indicate "Other" as Source of Other Earned Income and click Continue
  • For the description enter "2017 Excess 401K Deferrals" and click on Done

View solution in original post

Retirement tax questions

Despite your instructions, my return still doesn't pass Review and I can't e-file as a result.  

Retirement tax questions

Seems we cannot efile for Federal Tax refund, but can we still e-file for State Tax reporting (Ex: NY)? It is not clear either.

Retirement tax questions

(This is a year old post but for 2018)

This is currently being investigated by TurboTax, but in the meantime:

You should NOT change any W-2 information. The IRS gets a copy from the employer and what you report must match. In addition if the W-2 box 1 amount is less the the box 3 amount the difference must be accounted for in box 12 - if not, that could be a "red-flag" audit trigger.

TurboTax has released a FAQ on this issue - the workaround answer is to print and mail the return.
Excess 401(k) Contribution Preventing e-File

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/7327357

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**