e-gerow1

Is a traditional ira the same as a simple ira and if yes do I need to put my simple ira contributions for 2017 into turbotax under the traditional ira spot?

I just need to know if I need to add my simple ira contributions for 2017 into turbo tax and if so where do I enter it?

Rachel_W
Expert Alumni

Retirement tax questions

Were your SIMPLE IRA Contributions made through your Employer and reported in Box 12 of your W2?
e-gerow1

Retirement tax questions

box 12 has $4800 in it with an S code but I received a letter from SEI private trust company with a Fair market value statement for a SIMPLE IRA (that they also sent to the IRS) for $7474.86.  So I'm just not sure that I need to list this in turbo tax under the Traditional IRA
e-gerow1

Retirement tax questions

box 12 has $4800 in it with an S code but I received a letter from SEI private trust company with a Fair market value statement for a SIMPLE IRA (that they also sent to the IRS) for $7474.86.  So I'm just not sure that I need to list this in turbo tax under the Traditional IRA or just do nothing with is since I already have something listed on line 12 of the W2

Retirement tax questions

A SIMPLE IRA is NOT a Traditional IRA and only gets entered in box 12 on your W-2 - nowhere else.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

View solution in original post