terry2431

Why do I need to send a copy of my 1099 B to the IRS when the 1099 B clearly states "this information is being furnished to the IRS"?

I am an active trader and made several Wash Sales. In TurboTax Premier, a "tax tip" implied I could enter the Wash Sales as "one sale at a time" and enter a "summary" for the remaining transactions.This would preclude my having to separately mail forms to the IRS. After entering the data, the summary page contains the notes: "see attached statement" and at the bottom says "To finish reporting these sales, follow the mailing instructions". My question is - Do I still need to mail something to the IRS? and if so can I simply mail the page from the 1099 B containing the Wash Sale information? Thank you for any information you can provide.

DDollar
Expert Alumni

Retirement tax questions

If you are reporting summary totals for your investment sales,  any sales summaries that include only Box A or Box D sales, and which have no adjustments to gain/loss, do not need to be included on a statement mailed to the IRS.  If you reported summary sales for Box B, C, E, or F, the IRS requires you to mail a copy of your statement along with Form 8453.

If you are e-filing your tax return, then mail your statements along with Form 8453 to:

Internal Revenue Service

Attn: Shipping and Receiving, 0254

Receipt and Control Branch

Austin, TX 73344-0254

If you are not e-filing, then mail your statements with your entire tax return to your local IRS office.