rurizar

By the time When I feel my Texas I did them with a ITN number but now I do have the Social Security number for my depend I like to redo my taxes please

Retirement tax questions

No you may not any longer ... the rules have changed ....   

The Protecting Americans from Tax Hikes or PATH Act made several changes to the tax law, including preventing retroactive claims of the EITC and CTC by amending a return or filing an original return for any earlier year in which the individual or anyone listed on the return did not have a SSN valid for employment. You can't claim EITC or CTC unless the Social Security number for you, your spouse (if married filing a joint return) or a qualifying child is issued before the due date of the return including any valid extensions.

http://www.thetaxadviser.com/newsletters/2016/jan/congress-makes-changes-to-popular-tax-credits.html 

Carl
Level 15

Retirement tax questions

If you e-filed your taxes and they were accepted by the IRS (or if you mailed them) then you can't. You're done for this tax year. You won't use the SSN until you file taxes again next year.

Retirement tax questions

You cannot amend the return to get any more benefits ...   

The Protecting Americans from Tax Hikes or PATH Act made several changes to the tax law, including preventing retroactive claims of the EITC and CTC by amending a return or filing an original return for any earlier year in which the individual or anyone listed on the return did not have a SSN valid for employment. You can't claim EITC or CTC unless the Social Security number for you, your spouse (if married filing a joint return) or a qualifying child is issued before the due date of the return including any valid extensions.

http://www.thetaxadviser.com/newsletters/2016/jan/congress-makes-changes-to-popular-tax-credits.html 

You need to notify the IRS, so it can combine all of your tax records under one identification number....if the dependent has never filed a return of their own it is really not important ... but this is what should be done.

This is from IRS website:

What do I do when I am assigned a social security number (SSN)?
Once you receive a SSN, you must use that number for tax purposes and discontinue using your ITIN.  It is improper to use both the ITIN and the SSN assigned to the same person to file tax returns.  It is your responsibility to notify the IRS so we can combine all of your tax records under one identification number.  If you do not notify the IRS when you are assigned a SSN, you may not receive credit for all wages paid and taxes withheld which could reduce the amount of any refund due.  You can visit a local IRS office or write a letter explaining that you have now been assigned a SSN and want your tax records combined.  Include your complete name, mailing address, and ITIN along with a copy of your social security card and a copy of the CP 565, Notice of ITIN Assignment, if available.  The IRS will void the ITIN and associate all prior tax information filed under the ITIN with the SSN.  Send your letter to: 

Internal Revenue Service 
     Austin, TX 73301 -  0057