Where can I find the information for Contributions previously taxed (column E) on NJ State Pensions, annuities +IRAs form?

Hi, I received a 1099-R from Vanguard who I have a traditional and Roth IRA with.  I converted some of my 2017 traditional IRA contributions to the Roth IRA (back door Roth contribution).  My NJ state return is asking for 'Contributions previously taxed (Column E) for the Pension, Annuities + IRAS Wks form.  Where can I find this information?  Is this from previous years where I may have converted from a traditional to Roth IRA?  (Please see attached PDF) Thank you in advance for any feedback!!

IsabellaG
Expert Alumni

Retirement tax questions

NJ  is asking about your original traditional IRA contributions (basis) from the past. Since NJ doesn't allow a deduction for traditional IRA contributions (unlike the IRS), the amount of your withdrawal that represents your previously taxed contributions is tax free. If you converted traditional IRA contributions to a  Roth IRA in the past, and you still had balances in your traditional IRAs,  part of the Roth conversion will be non taxable and part will be taxable, and the remaining non-deductible basis would carry forward for future distributions. 

See this  NJ Tax Topic Bulletin concerning traditional IRA contributions and distributions. See page 5 for how to calculate how much of your distribution is tax free in NJ. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post