tdantin

How do I exclude my wife's Louisiana Teachers retirement benefits from taxation on our Louisiana return? If I enter the exclusion at the state return Turbo Tax corrects.

Our Louisiana taxable income is higher than our federal, it should be less since my wife's retirement benefits should be excluded on the Louisiana return.

Retirement tax questions

The place where this exclusion was entered has moved from the state interview to the federal interview.

After you enter the 1099-R (Federal->Wages & Income->Retirement Plans and Social Security, click on "IRA, 401(k), Pension Plan Withdrawals (1099-R)"), you will be asked a series of questions. One is "Select your state". Indicate Louisiana.

The next screen will ask, "Where Is This Distribution From?" You can select "Louisiana State Teachers' Retirement Benefits (Code 03E)" here and indicate how much of the distribution is for Louisiana. Finish the 1099-R interview.

When you get to the Louisiana state interview, you will not have to indicate any adjustment here, because it was done when the federal data was imported to Louisiana.

View solution in original post

mej2134

Retirement tax questions

To get to the screen to "select your state" you must enter the amount in Box 2a "Taxable amount in Box 14 "State distribution amount.  On the 1099R from the LA Teachers Retirement Plan that I was working from Box 14 was blank. Once I added the amount from Box 2a in Box 14 every thing worked as it should.