TurboTax bug for 8606? I did backdoor roth (from trad ira to roth conversion) for 2020. It left everything blank for part I and put a few numbers in part II. I'm lost!

1. contributed 7000 Trad IRA
2. converted to Roth right away with just 7000.02 balance
3. received 1099R
4. entered in TurboTax, TurboTax gives these on 8606 form
part I: all blank (no numbers filled)
Part II:
16: 7,000
17: 0
18: 7,000
It seems wrong that nothing is on Part I.  When I manually fill, I will have the numbers for Part I.

Retirement tax questions

That would indicate that you failed to report the $7,000 contribution and specify that it shoukd be non-deductible.    It should be on the 8606 line 1.

Enter IRA contributions here:
Federal Taxes,
Deductions & Credits,
I’ll choose what I work on (if that screen comes up),
Retirement & Investments,
Traditional & Roth IRA contribution.

OR  Use the "Tools" menu  (if online version under My Account) and then "Search Topics" for "ira contributions" which will take you to the same place.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

Retirement tax questions

Thank you for the tip.  After I entered contrbution, now it shows up in Part I.  The problem is that line 8  is still blank.  Line 8 is "Enter the net amount you converted from traditional, SEP, and SIMPLE IRAs to Roth IRAs in 2020. Also enter this amount on line 16........."

Retirement tax questions

If there is a * (asterisk) next to line 15 then the calculations were done on the "Taxable IRA Distribution Worksheet" instead of the 8606 lines 6-13. This worksheet is described in IRS Publication 590-B worksheet 1-1.

https://www.irs.gov/publications/p590b#en_US_2020_publink1000270091

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

View solution in original post

Anonymous
Not applicable

Retirement tax questions

great. I see that. Thanks!