There is no box 16 on my form 1099-R

LinaJ2018
Intuit Alumni

Retirement tax questions

You should fill in your Form 1099-R as the way how it is reported on your hard copy.  If there is nothing reported in box 16, leave it blank. 

View solution in original post

jdr41

Retirement tax questions

TurboTax "demands" an amount or zero! If I don't have a Box 16, what is appropriate?

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

Retirement tax questions

@jdr41 If there is an entry in Boxes 14 or 15 on your 1099-R, TurboTax will expect an amount in Box 16.

If Box 14 shows State Tax withheld, the Distribution Amount (Box 1) should be entered in Box 16.

If no state tax was withheld, you can delete the State ID number, so that Boxes 14, 15 and 16 are blank.

Type '1099r' in the Search area, then click on 'Jump to 1099r' to get back to your entry.

Click this link for more info on How to Enter a 1099-R.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
sbhammer

Retirement tax questions

My 1099-R also has no box 16 . . . but there's State Income Withheld in box 14.  Should I enter Taxable Income from box 2a.  It's a teacher pension from the state, so it's strange that it doesn't have a box 16.

Retirement tax questions

Yes, enter the amount from Box 2a into TurboTax on Box 16.  Some companies produce Forms that are not identical to the IRS format.  

IRS 1099-R

Retirement tax questions

Looking at the dates on the posts, this problem goes back to at least 2019.  Why hasn't TT gotten a clue by now, and started to provide on-screen instructions telling users what to do when they don't have a box 16, and explain what the number they enter is supposed to represent?  There isn't uniformity among the issuers of 1099-R's, but TT doesn't address this lack of uniformity.

Instead, we are supposed to search for answers in the TT Community and trust that the advice given is correct.

To prepare your taxes:

(1) Purchase TurboTax and fill out what you can using the software.

(2) Find a CPA in your area, and have him/her prepare your tax return.

Retirement tax questions

I'm torn between putting 0 or putting in the amount of the gross distribution, since I've read to do it both ways, so no help at all on the community thing

AmyC
Expert Alumni

Retirement tax questions

Your state taxes all income you receive. The state tax box really only matters when you are part year. The best option is to put the taxable amount to the state in there.

Ruby44501

Retirement tax questions

I need help with my 1099-R.

PattiF
Expert Alumni

Retirement tax questions

To clarify your question, what kind of help do you need with the 1099-R?

Retirement tax questions

I have an amount in line 14 on my 1099-R but no line 16

CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

Retirement tax questions

You can enter the amount from box 1 in box 16.

bmb7

Retirement tax questions

I have entered nothing in Box 16, as my 1099-R does not have Box 16. TurboTax will not let me proceed as it states... "State distribution amount can't be blank and can't be less than state tax withheld".  How do I proceed?

CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

Retirement tax questions

Enter the amount from box 1 also in box 16. The Federal and State Distribution amounts are the same number.