clear_s

It says, "Since you deferred some of your Social Security taxes last year, you'll get Form W-2c from your employer..." I did not do that, how do I fix this?

I did not knowingly defer anything.  I've been full time at the same job for 26 years.  What has happened?  Is this true that I owe taxes?
JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

Retirement tax questions

If you got the message  "Heads up! You have a W-2C coming" .  This was fixed in the newest release on 2/19/2020.

Only the customers who now legitimately will receive a W-2C will still get the pop up.

A W-2c form is used by the United States Internal Revenue Service for tax filing and reporting services. This form is known as a Corrected Wage and Tax Statement form.

A W-2c form is used by the United States Internal Revenue Service for tax filing and reporting services. This form is known as a Corrected Wage and Tax Statement form.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
andymanoh
Returning Member

Retirement tax questions

I am also getting this message. I am on the latest version. I am using Turbo Tax Home and Business

SamS1
Expert Alumni

Retirement tax questions

Check your W2 input screen.  Box 4 Social Security Taxes should be 6.2% of Box 3.

andymanoh
Returning Member

Retirement tax questions

My wife is a teacher and has never paid social security. First year this has been an error. I've used Turbotax for at least 20 years. lol

LRow
Level 2

Retirement tax questions

@clear_s, I believe this to be the result of Frmr. President Trump's Tax Deferral. Employers dropped the income tax for a brief period and that will be repaid over time during 2021. Thus the W-2c.

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

Retirement tax questions

That is correct.  But the only employer that I know of that used the deferral was the federal government, including the military.   If you are sure you are not getting a W-2c (ask your employer; it is very unlikely), you are safe to file.   The error will not prevent e-filing.   @LRow    @andymanoh    @clear_s

If you want to double-check to ensure nothing is afoul with your W-2,  verify that box 4 is exactly 6.2% of box 3.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"