Valatie

WHy do I keep getting an error message on 1099-R that Box 12a must be no greater than the distribution but I have 0.00 in that box?

Never mind. I found the problem. It was an extra form, but had no numbers on it. Should have been deleted. There were no tax consequences. Why TT chose that box only to focus on I don't know. I deleted the form and the problem went away.

SandraM

Retirement tax questions

The error is trying to say that there should not be any state taxes withheld (Box 12) if there was not a state distribution (Box 14). 

To correct it, you need to Edit any Form 1099-R that shows an amount in Box 12 for state taxes withheld.  If Box 14 is blank or zero, enter the amount shown in Box 1 into Box 14 also. 

Use these steps to go directly to a list of your Form 1099-R entries and Edit them one at a time to correct the error:

• On the top row of the TurboTax online screen, click on Search (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax locate the search box in the upper right corner)

• This opens a box where you can type in “1099-R” (be sure to enter exactly as shown here) and click the magnifying glass (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax, click Find)

• The search results will give you an option to “Jump to 1099-R

• Click on the blue “Jump to 1099-R” link

View solution in original post

Lashay111
Returning Member

Retirement tax questions

The error is trying to say that there should not be any state taxes withheld (Box 12) if there was not a state distribution (Box 14). 

To correct it, you need to Edit any Form 1099-R that shows an amount in Box 12 for state taxes withheld.  If Box 14 is blank or zero, enter the amount shown in Box 12 on the 1099-R form in Box 14. In Box 15 enter State code. Finally enter the information in Box 1 on the form into Box 16. 

Use these steps to go directly to a list of your Form 1099-R entries and Edit them one at a time to correct the error:

• On the top row of the TurboTax online screen, click on Search (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax locate the search box in the upper right corner)

• This opens a box where you can type in “1099-R” (be sure to enter exactly as shown here) and click the magnifying glass (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax, click Find)

• The search results will give you an option to “Jump to 1099-R

• Click on the blue “Jump to 1099-R” link