If I split my covid 401 k withdrawal how do I report the taxes taken all this year or split

MinhT1
Expert Alumni

Retirement tax questions

The split of taxation of the Covid- related distribution over 3 years is dealt with on form 8915-E.

At this point in time the Form 8915-E (Qualified 2020 Disaster Retirement Plan Distributions and Repayments (Use for Coronavirus-Related Distributions)) is not finalized. We currently do not have an estimated date when the form is ready.

Please sign-up here and we will email you once the form is live.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
amandahan
Returning Member

Retirement tax questions

I've gone through and input my 1099 from my COVID 401 withdrawal. I told the software to spread the taxable amount over the 3 years. When I do this, it doesn't add 1/3 of the withdrawal to my income, rather TurboTax reduces my taxable income for this year by 2/3 the amount of my COVID withdrawal. Shouldn't it add the 1/3 to my taxable income resulting in additional taxes? As of now, it has resulted in a return which doesn't seem correct.

SamS1
Expert Alumni

Retirement tax questions

TurboTax is correct.  The 8915-E will be used for penalty relief from early retirement plan distributions and include the option to spread the distribution income over 3 years. You will report 1/3 of the income in 2020 then increase your income by 1/3 in 2021 and 1/3 in 2022.  My guess is your plan administrator withheld 20% federal taxes and an amount for state also.  That being said, you do have a larger refund for 2020.  To help with the 2021 and 2022 income increases you are going to see, I would recommend apply a portion of that refund to estimated tax for 2021.  That way the tax withheld on the full amount, a portion would be applied to the future years.  An easy way would be to take the amount of federal taxes from the 1099 apply 2/3 to 2021 estimated tax.  

You also have the option to repay all or a portion of the distribution amount over the next 2 years which will decrease the taxable amount in 2021 and 2022.  You are going to have a big stimulus check coming.....

After you have logged in and are in your return:

• Go to Search at the top of the screen.
  • Enter "apply federal refund to next year" in the search box. 
  • You will see a Jump To function that will take you to screen to apply your refund