Do I include my wife's 1099-NEC (nonemployee compensation) on my tax filing? She started in April 2020. She is Filipina

Retirement tax questions

This is in reference to my regular 1040 for tax filing. not a retirement question. I am not retired.

DanaB27
Expert Alumni

Retirement tax questions

Yes, if you are filing a married filing joint return then you will have to include your wife's 1099-NEC on your return.

Please follow these steps:

1. Login to your TurboTax Account 
  2. Click on the Search box on the top and type “self-employed”
  3. Click on “Jump to self-employed”
  4. Answer the questions until the "Let's enter the income" screen and select "Form 1099-NEC"

Please see What is the self-employment tax? and What is Form 1099-NEC? for additional information.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Retirement tax questions

Ive gone there and it is still confusing. It ask questions like is my wife an independent contractor. she housesits a man's disabled wife while he is out working. She is one in a rotation of 3. My wife is Filipina also. she has a green card. the 1099 only lists line item #1, non employee compensation with no tax withholding

DanaB27
Expert Alumni

Retirement tax questions

Your wife is considered a independent contractor and therefore self-employed. She will have to pay regular income tax and self-employment tax on that income. Please see Am I an employee or an independent contractor? for additional information.

You will have to go through the questions carefully and she might be able to claim expenses she had. Please see What self-employed expenses can I deduct?

If you are not comfortable going through this section by yourself then you might want to consider our TurboTax Live Service.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"