Why did a section called "Child's Income (Under Age 24) show up after I provided my 1099-G? I have no children, it asked for information about my mother.

I did not see this section at any point before I submitted the 1099-G info.
ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

Retirement tax questions

It is not regarding your children, it is regarding you as a "child". Unemployment is unearned income.

Form 8615 must be filed for any child who meets all of the following conditions.

1. The child had more than $2,200 of unearned income.
  2. The child is required to file a tax return.
  3. The child either:
  1. Was under age 18 at the end of 2020,
  2. Was age 18 at the end of 2020 and didn’t have earned income that was more than half of the child's support, or
  3. Was a full-time student at least age 19 and under age 24 at the end of 2020 and didn’t have earned income that was more than half of the child's support.
    (Earned income is defined later. Support is defined below.)
  1. At least one of the child's parents was alive at the end of 2020.
  2. The child doesn’t file a joint return for 2020.

View solution in original post

Retirement tax questions

Thank you so much, that makes a lot of sense. I appreciate you taking the time to answer my question.

Retirement tax questions

I was a full time student and claimed as a dependent on my parent's tax return.  When I go to fill out this section, Child's Income (under age 24) it is asking for numbers from my parents 2020 tax return.  They have not completed their tax return yet.  Do I have to wait until their return is finalized to continue so I can file my return or can I use 2019 figures here although it asks for 2020 numbers.  Thanks!

Retirement tax questions

Because you are under age 24, some of your income will be taxed at your parent's tax rate.  You need to provide their social security number and information from their 2020 income tax return.  You cannot use 2019 tax information, so will not be able to file your return until you have the information from your parent's 2020 tax return.

This happened to many students in 2020, due to receiving unearned income in the form of social security benefits.

Here is the IRS information on the Kiddie Tax.  

It is still called the Kiddie Tax because it used to only apply to children under 14 years of age.  But tax changes now have it apply to students up to 24 years old who have at least one living parent.

Retirement tax questions

thank you for clearing that up for me, I appreciate it!

Retirement tax questions

Hi,

My parents have now completed their return so I was going back in TurboTax to put in their information (their social security number and information from their 2020 income tax return)  as it asked me initially.  Now it is not asking for it anymore, which is really odd, and tells me I'm getting a refund instead of having to pay federal taxes?!    I went back through the 'my income' section under 'edit/add' just to be sure it wasn't in there, and it was not. 

Please help me find  where can I am supposed to enter my parents information as it pertains to the 'Kiddie Tax' like it asked me to before so I don't get any surprises.  Thanks!

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

Retirement tax questions

Was your unemployment under $12,400?   Prior to March 23rd, unemployment was fully taxable on your federal return.   Taxable unemployment (unearned income) will trigger the Kiddie Tax and requires you to enter information from your parents return.   However, once the exclusion was granted last month, the income becomes non-taxable and therefore does not trigger the Kiddie Tax.   The link above provides more details on the Kiddie Tax and how unemployment interacts with it.   

The exclusion was for $10,200 and the kiddie tax does not kick in until you have $2,200 in unearned income, so you could have up to $12,400 of unemployment reported and still not need to report kiddie tax on Form 8615.   It is Form 8615 that asks for your parents information.   So, it appears, that the unemployment exclusion has removed your requirement to file Form 8615.   @JJA5221

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Retirement tax questions

Thanks for your answer!  Can I see what TurboTax filled in for the 8615 form?  It is still listed as one of my forms and I want to make sure I didn't put parent's income as $0 accidentally.  

If I can't look at it, how can I just erase everything and start over?  

Thanks again!

Retirement tax questions

How do I preview my TurboTax Online return before filing?

You can view your entire return or just your 1040 form before you e-file:

1. Open or continue your return.
  2. Select Tax Tools in the left menu (if you don't see this, select the menu icon in the upper-left corner).
  3. With the Tax Tools menu open, you can then:
    • Preview your entire return: Select Print Center and then Print, Save, or Preview This Year's Return (you may be asked to register or pay first).
    • View only your 1040 form: Select Tools. Next, select View Tax Summary in the pop-up, then Preview my 1040 in the left menu.