Where to file my 1099-G form

Retirement tax questions

For unemployment?

UNEMPLOYMENT COMPENSATION

Unemployment compensation is taxable on your federal return. 

You will have to enter a 1099G that is issued by your state.

Some states will mail out the 1099G.  Or you might need to go to your state’s unemployment website and use the password, etc. that you have been using to certify for weekly benefits to get your 1099G from the state’s site.

Enter your 1099G in Federal>Wages & Income>Unemployment

Go through the screens very carefully, making sure  to enter any federal/state tax you had withheld from the unemployment.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/entering-importing/help/where-do-i-report-a-1099-g-for-unemploymen...

STATES THAT TAX UNEMPLOYMENT BENEFITS

AZ, AR, CO, CT, DE, DC, GA, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, MA, ME, MD, MI, MN, MS, MO, NB, NM, NY,NC, ND, OH, OK, OR, RI, SC, UT, VT, WV, WI

STATES THAT DO NOT  TAX UNEMPLOYMENT BENEFITS on the state return

AK, CA, FL, MT, NH, NJ, NV ,PA, SD, TN, TX, VA, WA, WY

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/personal-income-taxes/help/how-does-receiving-unemployment-affect-...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
HelenC12
Expert Alumni

Retirement tax questions

It depends what the 1099-G form is for.

If it's for unemployment or family leave, see Where do I report a 1099-G for unemployment or paid family leave?

If it's for state or local tax refunds, see Where do I enter a 1099-G for a state or local tax refund?

You'll report last year’s state or local tax refund, and we’ll figure out if it’s taxable or not.

If all three of the following are true, your refund counts as taxable income:

• You itemized deductions last year, instead of taking the standard deduction
  • You claimed state and local income taxes (not general sales taxes)
  • Claiming the deduction helped you increase your federal refund or lower your tax bill

Even when your refund is taxable, it may not be the entire amount. It depends on how much the deduction affected your refund or tax bill. Just answer a few simple questions about last year’s refund, and we’ll calculate the taxable amount for you.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"