psoulejr

1099 R

I am entering data from one of my 1099 R's and the box numbers on my form only go through 13.  However, turbo tax says look in box 14 for the state withholding.  On my 1099 R the state withholding is in box 12, not 14 as you claim.  If I put my state withholding in turbo tax under box 14, will things get messed up since it is found in box 12 on my 1099-R form I was sent?

ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

Retirement tax questions

Please see a pdf of Form 1099-R. State withholding is in Box 14.

Retirement tax questions

Is this a 2020 or 2019 1099-R?   The box numbers you describe are the 2019 box numbers - they were changed for 2020.

If 2020 then  contact the issuer for a correct 2020 1099-R.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

Retirement tax questions

@psoulejr 

I saw that in someone else's post....mis-numbered boxes.....though even there it was not cleared up about whether it was a 2019 or 2020 1099-R.

If yours was issued as a 2020 1099-R.....please let us know who issued that form, we could end up with thousands of others with this problem..

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

Retirement tax questions

@SteamTrain - That might be a different issue.  TurboTax has a "verify this entry" screen (online only I think) that has mislabeled boxes, but the data in them is correct.    That is simply the programmers forgetting to change the labels on that screen.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

Retirement tax questions

@macuser_22 

Yeah, I'm fully aware of that verification screen...have a picture of the verification screen I sometimes post for people to see.

It think it was this one (link below) where I was guessing the person was trying to get "MD" into box 13, but box 13 was labelled differently on the TTX 1099-R form.....or not showing at all.   In my desktop software interview, box 13 doesn't display at all in the normal interview for a supposed 401k distribution...not sure what forces box 13 to show up in the interview.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/military/discussion/re-1099r/01/1846957#M4550

But, I admit I could be reading far too much into that post

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*