Can I use my transcript?

Thanks for taking the time to read and answer my question.

I am trying to look up possible old 401k accounts from previous employers and I'm told (outside of contacting the employer directly) I can use old w-2s to confirm I had wages paid into an employer plan. 

Am I able to use a transcript to confirm this information or will I have to get a copy of my W-2 from the IRS?

Thanks again. 

Retirement tax questions

If you find your W2s........any pretax 401K contributions you made will be in box 12 with Code D.  Code AA for Roth contributions.

FAQ for W2 Box 12 Codes

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/what-do-the-letter-codes-in-box-12-of-my-w-2-mean/...

Retirement tax questions

Contributions to a qualified work plan will be recorded on your W-2 transcript.

To get an actually copy of the W-2, you contact the social security administration rather than the IRS, and it is something like $90 per year.

If you have a custodial account with a former employer, and the custodian has been unable to contact you for a period of time, they custodian is probably required to turn the funds over to the state's unclaimed funds department.  (The period of time may vary by state law, it can be as short as 3 years.). If you think you might have funds held by a former employer, you can do a search for unclaimed funds on the state government web site for the state where you worked. 

View solution in original post