Level 15

Retirement tax questions

To enter, change or delete a form 1099-R

  • Click on Federal Taxes (Personal using Home and Business)
  • Click on Wages and Income (Personal Income using Home and Business)
  • Click on I'll choose what I work on
  • Scroll down to Retirement Plans and Social Security
  • On IRA, 401(k), Pension Plan Withdrawals (1099-R), click the start or update button

If you are filing a Joint return be sure to pick which person it is for.

If box 2a is zero or says unknown then leave it BLANK

After you enter the 1099R be sure to answer all the follow up questions on the next screens to determine how much is taxable or not. Go all the way to the end of the section. You have to enter it from the 1099R because there are codes on it you need to enter properly.

See this article on how to enter a 1099R