thejaysun

W-2 box 12 has Letter Code D as follows: "D 19 805.66". Turbotax is only entering this as $19.00. Is this space a typo on the W-2? Should it be $19,805.66?

Irene2805
Expert Alumni

Retirement tax questions

On the W-2, Box 12 Code D is for Elective Deferrals to a 401(k) plan.  Is it possible you contributed  $19,805.66 to your retirement plan?   It could be that the comma printed out very lightly or not at all..

You can subtract the amount in Box 1 from the amount in Box 3.  It should give you the amount in Box 12, Code D (or close to it).

To be sure, contact your payroll office.

dmertz
Level 15

Retirement tax questions

The "19" simply means that it's an elective deferral for 2019.  Omit the "19" when making the code D entry into 2019 TurboTax.

View solution in original post

thejaysun

Retirement tax questions

Thanks guys.

Yeah, I already submitted it as $805.66

Although, it still bothers me that the software didn’t recognize this and tried to autofill this box as $19.00

Edit: Subtracting box 1 from box 3 would’ve given me about -2300. 

dmertz
Level 15

Retirement tax questions

Since there is an overall limit on the amount that is permitted to be in box 3, it's better to calculate the difference between box 1 and box 5.

The year designator is to be used for a makeup contribution for a prior year under the Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act of 1994 (USERRA) after return from military service, although some employers mistakenly use the year indicator in conjunction with contributions for the current year.