kb7gj104

Rental Property and Auto Expense

In the Rental Property Summary TurboTax asks about the vehicle we own.  However, this has nothing to do with the auto expense for visiting our rental property (a trailer park).  We rented a vehicle for the trip.  I cannot find a way to enter the mileage and other travel expense related to the rental property.
MichaelDC

Investors & landlords

Enter all travel related rental expenses including airfare, hotel and car rental under "Travel (Not Auto)" on the Enter Common Expenses screen. (See the attached screenshot below. Click to enlarge.)

Go into your TurboTax return. Not sure you're in there? Click on the orange Take me to my return button.

1.       Search for rentals and then click the "Jump to" link in the search result.

2.       Answer Yes to the question Did you have any rental or royalty income and expenses?

3.       Follow the on-screen instructions as you proceed through the rental and royalties section.

View solution in original post

cStonefelt361
Returning Member

Investors & landlords

Re: I just need to edit my enteries for Rental Property, I own 50%; because it is stated 50% from the start, I need to change amts back to 100% so it can be compared to the year prior. Turbo tax is letting me edit

cStonefelt361
Returning Member

Investors & landlords

I mis-stated. Turbo Tax is not letting me edit and I need to

cStonefelt361
Returning Member

Investors & landlords

My inquiry: I need to make changes to my Rental Property enteries. My inquiry is not solved 

Carl
Level 15

Investors & landlords

Since you do not own the vehicle, you can not claim any vehicle expenses in the Vehicle Expenses section. Period. You have to claim your travel expenses in the common rental expenses section under the sub-section for Travel Expenses. You can not claim the per-mile deduction. You have to claim actual expenses; basically rental cost and fuel costs, and that's it.