We rented out a prop owned by my parents as an airbnb. Turbo tax requires address and asks which of us owns it; we don't own it. How do I get around that?

Investors & landlords

There are two property management concepts ... 

1.) You own the property and gain royalties (rent) for letting other stay there (Sch E)

2.) You manage a property that someone else owns and receive % of rent (business income)  (Sch C)

Note: both of these activities have the same income / expense options to get to activity profit / loss.

Sounds like you have a property management business that should be on Sch C, thus you do not need a property address.

Carl
Level 15

Investors & landlords

We rented out a prob owned by my parents as an airbnb.

How did the parents who own the property benefit from this?  Or did they? Basically, it matters as to why you were renting out property that you do not own.  This will help determine where you will report this on your tax return.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Investors & landlords

I would also point out that since they don't own it they can't take depreciation on the building. since they're probably not on the mortgage if they pay it they may be entitled to a deduction for rent which the parents would have to pick up as income or it could be a gift to the parents which wouldn't be deductible. The same would be true if they pay the real estate taxes.   

Investors & landlords

The question was about how the non-owner reports their business transactions in TurboTax ... not the parents business transactions ... although you make a good point that being a property management company, you are paid for services and cannot offset those profits with property depreciation if the property management company does not own the property.