Is there a limit to the number of transactions that TurboTax reports in Form 8949?

KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

Investors & landlords

Yes. The  limit is 1,500 transactions. Click this article for more details: How do I enter a large number of stock transactions in TurboTax Online?

If you have more than 1,500 transactions to report, try TurboTax CD/Download, instead. Click this article for more details: TurboTax Online: We notice you have more than 1,500 financial transactions to import.

Investors & landlords

Kathryn, thanks for your answer. I have around 100 transactions. I noticed that TurboTax reported some of them in form 8949 and the summary in Schedule D line 1b. However,  some of the transactions were not reported in form 8949. For these transactions, the summary was reported in Schedule D line 1a. I could not figure out why some transactions are reported in 8949 and not others. All the transactions are similar in nature. Would you know why TT might be splitting the transactions between lines 1a and 1b in Schedule D?

JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

Investors & landlords

You should be able to reconcile the 8949 and the Schedule D

Complete Form 8949, Sales and Other Dispositions of Capital Assets and Losses BEFORE you complete line 1, 2, 3, 8, 9, or 10 of Schedule D.

Use Form 8949 to report the sale or exchange of a capital asset not reported on another form or schedule.

Form 8949 has two sections: one section to list your short-term gains and losses and a second section to list your long-term gains and losses. 

To accommodate these reporting requirements for gains and losses, you should separate gains and losses in the following order:

• Short-term gains and losses where basis was reported on Form 1099-B
  • Short-term gains and losses where basis was not reported on Form 1099-B
  • Short-term gains and losses not reported on Form 1099-B
  • Long-term gains and losses where basis was reported on Form 1099-B
  • Long-term gains and losses where basis was reported on Form 1099-B
  • Long-term gains and losses not reported on Form 1099-B

You must list these transactions on Form 8949 before completing Schedule D.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Investors & landlords

John, thanks for your answer.  How do you know what transactions to report in line 1a and line 1b in Sch D?

DavidD66
Expert Alumni

Investors & landlords

You might find this article about entering summary totals in TurboTax helpful.

https://www.form8949.com/turbotaxactivetradersolution.html

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"