Where do I enter rental property tax deductions? How do I know what I can deduct?

JulieCo

Investors & landlords

Yes, real estate taxes can be deducted for a rental property.  In the FAQ below is a list of common rental property expenses that can be deducted on your return. 

To enter the property taxes, once you enter the information for a rental property, you will then be brought to a summary section where you can choose to record the income and the expenses for the property.  Here are steps to be brought to the rental entry section:

1. In TurboTax, search for rentals and then select the Jump to link in the search result.
  2. Answer Yes to the question Did you have any rental or royalty income and expenses in 2018 for property you own?
  3. Follow the on-screen instructions as you proceed through the rental and royalties section.
    • TurboTax will ask you to enter general information about your rental (like description, address, and ownership percentage).
    • Eventually, you'll come to the Rental Summary screen, which is where you enter your rental income and expenses, assets and depreciation, and vehicle expenses.