Does rental property depreciation on a 1031 Like Kind Exchange carry over from the old, exchanged property to the newly acquired property?

It is clear that a gain on the old property reduces the basis of the new property. When looking at Form 8824,  does Line 25 which refers to the adjusted cost basis of the new property  take into consideration the depreciation on the old property?

Thanks for your help!

DDollar
Expert Alumni

Investors & landlords

Yes  As you said, the deferred gain reduces the basis of the new property, and that gain is in part determined by the accumulated depreciation.  The accumulated depreciation must be carried over to the new property.  If the new property is then sold (not exchanged) that depreciation will be subject to depreciation recapture (to the extent their is a gain on the sale).

View solution in original post

Investors & landlords

Thanks for this clarification.  I will actually be selling the home in 2019 for a loss (ouch!) versus the adjusted cost basis after the Exchange, some years back.   I have a lot of depreciation accumulated from the  exchanged property and quite a bit from the "received" rental.  From your final comment, I suspect that TT will calculate the entire amount of depreciation, from both properties,  against the lowered adjusted cost basis, thus creating a paper gain,  despite loosing money on the upcoming sale on the "received" property ?  Just checking to see if I understand the final accounting on this albatross! Thanks again.
myle

Investors & landlords

If the basis of the new property already reduce due to the depreciation why does it accumulate the depreciation.   

Investors & landlords

Upon sale of the old property, Form 8824 Line 25, or Adjusted Basis of Received Property, takes into account any Capital Gain on the old or exchanged property, which will reduce the adjusted basis of the newly acquired  property.  My question had to do with whether or not the prior property's depreciation schedule followed and applied to the new property. The CPA's answer above indicated, YES, it does.  Which means that when I sell the exchanged property, without doing another 1031 X, I will pay the piper on all of the recaptured depreciation, as well as reporting any capital gain (or loss) based on the adjusted cost basis at the time of the exchange.  
That is my understanding of what will happen when I go to sell my property this year.  It will be interesting to see if TT makes this accounting as easy as I think it should be.  Without understanding the basic rules of 1031 X accounting, it might be hard to know if TT is doing it correctly, and thus my question.  It would be great if a CPA out there could confirm my understanding of this upcoming sale.

Investors & landlords

Do you happen to know where to input that information into TT. We did a 1031X of rental properties this past year and while I have the depreciation schedule from the sold property I'm not seeing where and exactly what I need to input into the new property's form

JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

Investors & landlords

To enter in TurboTax online

1. enter Like Kind in the search box.
  2. Select the Jump To 
  3. The next screen will show Any Other Property Sales
  4. Check Any additional like-kind exchanges
  5. Yes you did have a like kind exchange
  6. Continue with address and additional questions.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"