Can I report the sale of a stock next tax year? Does it have to be reported the year it was sold?

Investors & landlords

Yes.  The investment sale must be reported in the year of the sale.

Investors & landlords

So then I have to amend my return.

Investors & landlords

No, you cannot report it next year unless you didn't sell it until 2019, then it needs to be reported on next years tax return.  If you sold the stock in 2018 it needs to be reported on your 2018 tax return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

Investors & landlords

So I have to amend my return.

Investors & landlords

If you sold them in 2018 and didn't include them then yes.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Investors & landlords

I have Turbotax Deluxe. Do it have the form I need. And if so what form is that.

Investors & landlords

To report an investment sale using the online editions you will need to upgrade to the Premier edition.  The investment sale is reported on a Schedule D and Form 8949.  You should have received a Form 1099-B from your broker for the sale.  
Enter investment sales in the Search box located in the upper right of the program screen.  Click on Jump to investment sales

You will need to amend the 2018 tax return to add the investment sale.  An amended federal tax return, Form 1040X, can only be printed and mailed, it cannot be e-filed.  The IRS will take up to 4 months or longer to process the amended tax return.  If taxes are owed after completing the amended return, you send a check with the amended return when it is mailed.  If the amended return has a tax refund, then the IRS will send you a refund check in the mail for the refund, the refund cannot be direct deposited.

The tax return should not be amended until the tax refund has been received from the IRS.

See this TurboTax support FAQ for amending a tax return - <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1894381-how-to-amend-change-or-correct-a-return-you-already-filed"...>