I sold a rental property in New Hampshire, do I owe any tax? buisness profit or Business Enterprise Tax???

I sold a rental property in New Hampshire, do I owe any tax? buisness profit or Business Enterprise Tax???

AmandaR1

Investors & landlords

Yes, rental activities and sales, qualify for the Business Profit. However, the Business Profit return is only required if your net profit from your rental exceeds $50,000 and Business Enterprise Tax return is only required if your total sale income is more than $208,000.

You also get to deduct an allowance for any personal 'services' if you participated in renting or managing the property. Find average compensation for NH here: https://www.nhes.nh.gov/elmi/products/oes-prod.htm

You can update the forms under the State Taxes tab.

Investors & landlords

It is gross sales $50,000 or higher, NOT net.

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

Investors & landlords

It depends. Rental activities and sales, qualify for the Business Profit. However, the Business Profit return is ONLY required if the business organization, organized for gain or profit carrying on business activity within the state is subject to this tax.  Organizations with $50,000 or less of gross receipts from all their activities are not required to file a return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Mcneewee

Investors & landlords

I made a profit of $57,000 after selling a rental property in New Hampshire.  Do I have to pay taxes on the whole $57,000 or is the first $50,000 not taxable?

MarilynG
Expert Alumni

Investors & landlords

If you are a not a resident of New Hampshire, and the only income you have to report there is the Capital Gain from the sale of a rental home there, you are not required to file a New Hampshire state return.

New Hampshire does not levy a personal income or capital gains tax on Business Enterprise income under $222,000.

Click this link  for more info from the NH Dept. of Revenue. 

Pepeshto

Investors & landlords

I sold a rental property lay tear in NH for 390k with capital gains of 160K. I am resident of MA. Do I have to pay any taxes in NH ? BET or otherwise? How does that impact me from been taxed twice - one in NH and then in MA?

RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

Investors & landlords

You will have to pay tax in NH.  They're entitled to their cut of income you earned in their state.  

You will first finish your federal return and then do your NH return as a non-resident.  After you finish your NH return (which will collect taxes on the income earned from NH sources) then you will do your Massachusetts return.  

Massachusetts will give you a credit for taxes paid to other states and deduct what you paid to New Hampshire from your tax bill.  Pay close attention to the questions that the TurboTax system is asking as it walks you through al of that.  And make sure you do the returns in that order.

@Pepeshto