My NJ State taxes are asking for the name and ID number of "grantor" for my Federal Pell Grant. This number doesn't appear on my 1098-T unless it is the "FILERS" number.

Leonard
Intuit Alumni

Education

Yes, the "FILERS" number is the ID number of "grantor" for your Federal Pell Grant.

View solution in original post

arv1997

Education

I am trying to file my Scholarships. I have the name under FILERS but there are no ID numbers for these on the 1098 T. Do I just put the letter codes that are there?

Carl
Level 15

Education

If the Pell grant was awarded to you by the school, then the grantor ID is the Filer's ID shown on he 1098-T. It is common for a school to reward high performing students with a "free" class or two for a semester or more. They'll do this by awarding that "free" class as a grant. (it's a tax deduction for the school)

If you applied for the Pell grant with a third party (this is also common) and the Pell grant was paid to the school by that third party, then the grantor ID will be on the approval letter or other paperwork that came with that letter, from the authority that approved and paid the grant.