Num

Education

If I paid for a cna class last year could I write that off on my taxes

KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

Education

Possibly. Depending on the rest of your circumstances, you could deduct this as an education expenses using the Lifetime Learning Credit. The maximum deduction is 20% of costs up to $10,000. 

The CNA class must be to acquire or improve job skills and your income must be within certain limits.

To enter this in TurboTax, in the search box, search for 1098T and click the Jump to link.

For more details, see: Who is eligible for the Lifetime Learning Credit?

Hal_Al
Level 15

Education

To be eligible for the tuition credits or tuition & fees deduction, the course must be taken at "an eligible institution". The school should be able to tell you if it is an eligible educational institution. In general, an eligible educational institution is an accredited college, university, vocational school, or other postsecondary educational institution, including accredited, public, nonprofit, and proprietary (privately-owned, profit-making) postsecondary institutions. Additionally, in order to be an eligible educational institution, the school must be eligible to participate in a student aid program administered by the Department of Education. If they issue a 1098-T they are probably an eligible institution.

Enter your school at the link below, to see if it's on the dept. of education list.

https://fafsa.ed.gov/FAFSA/app/schoolSearch?locale=en_EN