New Member

F-1 Visa Student over 5 years passed SPT but no income, do I need to file?

I'm an international student and have been in the US for over 5 years, I passed the SPT and now I am unsure of what I need to file. I do not have any income or scholarships from the US or outside. I did read a similar question here and I think the answer was "If you determine that you don't need to file a tax return at all (because your taxable scholarship income is not large enough) then basically you are done" (


I am just not sure if that means I've already determined that I have no need to file at all, any help would be appreciated.


Thank you

Expert Alumni


If you do not have any income or scholarship, you are not required to file a tax return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post