Anonymous
Not applicable

REJECTED TAXES: 1098-T Missing information

Hello, 

I keep receiving the same error code: /Return/ReturnData/IRS8863/StudentAndEducationalInstnGrp/EducationalInstitutionGroup/PriorYear1098TReceivedInd - This return could not be processed for e-filing due to incorrect or missing information.

Description of error:
This return could not be processed for e-filing due to incorrect or missing information.

What needs to be done:
Review information related to Form 8863, Education Credits. For each student on Form 8863 page 2, all three of the following fields are required: First Name, Last Name, and Social Security Number. For each educational institution, Name of Institution, and a complete US or Foreign Address are required. To be a valid US address, all address fields must be filled in; City must be at least one alpha character; State must be a valid 2 character state abbreviation; Zip Code must be a valid zip code for the state. To be a valid Foreign Address, Street Address and Country must be filled in. Ensure that either the Yes or No box is checked for both Current Year 1098-T Received and for Prior Year 1098-T Received. After reviewing and making any necessary changes, re-submit this return electronically. If the reject persists you will need to delete all 1098-T information, re-enter the 1098-T information and re-submit the return for electronic filing. If the reject persists you will need to print and file by mail.

I already deleted all 1098-T forms, created new ones and talked to two turbotax representatives. Unfortunately, both could not help me! Is there anyone else experiencing the same issue?

KurtL1
Expert Alumni

Education

There might be some residual information in your computer on the forms. To correct the reasons that are causing the errors you should:

1. Clear the Cache and Cookies from your computer to get rid of any residual information.
  2. Delete the Form 1098-T and Form 8863 from your return.
  3. Re-enter the correct information back on the forms.

To access the clearing process, you should hold down the keys CONTROLSHIFT, and DELETE at the same time.

To delete a return off of your return you need to:

1. Select Tax Forms in the Black bar on the left side of the screen.
  2. Select Tools from the drop down menu.
  3. On the Tools Center Select Delete a form.
  4. Locate the form on the list and select Delete.
  5. You will be asked to confirm the deletion.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

Education

I am having the same issue.  I have deleted those forms and re-added them.  The only thing I have not done is "clearing the cache."  I will try that and see if that does the trick.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Education

Clearing the cache worked for me! 

Education

It didn't work for me, but I had re-entered information and refiled before clearing the cache.  I will try later to delete the forms, clear the cache, then re-entering the information, then re-file.  Hopefully they will transmit and get accepted.

Education

Unless I am clearing caches and cookies incorrectly, I am not having any luck with the return submitting.  Rejection after rejection.  I already paid the State Tax Filing, so I don't know if starting all over would help.  I would probably wind up in the same frustrating place.  Any other things to try?  There are no other errors or so it says.  I have double and triple checked the form 8863 for both of my kids and the information TurboTax tells me to check is all there and the boxes are checked.  I have never had an issue using TurboTax, so I am highly frustrated with it at the moment.

CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

Education

This seems to be part of another thread.  What is your return being rejected for?  Is there a rejection code or words?

Education

This was the error that I received that was copied into the original post.  I was getting this same message.

Thank you.

What needs to be done:
Review information related to Form 8863, Education Credits. For each student on Form 8863 page 2, all three of the following fields are required: First Name, Last Name, and Social Security Number. For each educational institution, Name of Institution, and a complete US or Foreign Address are required. To be a valid US address, all address fields must be filled in; City must be at least one alpha character; State must be a valid 2 character state abbreviation; Zip Code must be a valid zip code for the state. To be a valid Foreign Address, Street Address and Country must be filled in. Ensure that either the Yes or No box is checked for both Current Year 1098-T Received and for Prior Year 1098-T Received. After reviewing and making any necessary changes, re-submit this return electronically. If the reject persists you will need to delete all 1098-T information, re-enter the 1098-T information and re-submit the return for electronic filing. If the reject persists you will need to print and file by mail.
CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

Education

Unfortunately if you have double checked all those fields, your only option might be to print and mail your return.

Time-saving Tip: If what you entered is correct and you continue to get a reject, you won't be able to e-file. There's probably a data mismatch at the government, or some other situation beyond your control that prevents your return from being e-filed. In this case, your only option would be to print and mail in your return.

This article will give you instruction on how to print and mail your return.

Jeanne65

Education

I'm getting the same message.

I have 3 kids.

For 2 of my kids, they have 3 1098-T, so only 2 colleges are listed on "page 2" and the 3rd college is listed on the 2nd "page 2" - I would call this page 3.

I'm thinking the program can't handle more than 2 colleges listed per kid?

I think I may just mail my returns in.  All boxes they say to check are filled in.

Frustrating!!!!

whitedp7

Education

We are getting the same message.  We redid the taxes completely on a different computer so the cookies or cache would not be the problem.  Everything was typed in correctly from the forms and still rejected.  I guess we're going to have to print and mail in to file.  

JKERI

Education

I am having the same issue.  Any luck with a solution?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Education

I followed those steps and was able to e-file without any issues. 

1. Clear the Cache and Cookies from your computer to get rid of any residual information.
  2. Delete the Form 1098-T and Form 8863 from your return.
  3. Re-enter the correct information back on the forms.

Hopefully this will solve your problem as well!

Dmfannin

Education

Having the same issue.  Have had my returns rejected  4 times. We have reviewed all the info and it is correct. Consumers do not purchase turbo tax software to have to e-file and wait two months for their taxes to be processed!

Education

need to adjust rejected taxes