varob227
Returning Member

Education

What is so top-secret about program updates to software that I purchased?  When I follow the posted link, I get "Access Denied". 

Education

@varob227 wrote:

What is so top-secret about program updates to software that I purchased?  When I follow the posted link, I get "Access Denied". 

TurboTax has made the decision not to support Release Notes for tax year 2019.

The More details link in the desktop Updater window will be removed later in 2020.

If you would like to make a comment on this TurboTax decision then contact TurboTax support.

Use this website to contact TurboTax support during business hours - https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/
Support can also be reached by messaging them on these pages https://www.facebook.com/turbotax/ and https://twitter.com/TeamTurboTax

Anonymous
Not applicable

Education

supposedly, they'll notify you if a form has changed since submission.  I have problems with this.  One, they have to be snooping if they know you e-filed a return with a form that's changed. Two, what about those who paper file?  How could you possibly know what forms are in a mailed return? 

TT, is there a provision in the license agreement that allows you to snoop?   If not, aren't you violating the law?   

Education

@Anonymous wrote:

TT, is there a provision in the license agreement that allows you to snoop?   If not, aren't you violating the law?   

TurboTax folks likely won't see your post here in the middle of a cluttered old thread.   But here is the license agreement for your perusal.   At the page below you can choose the license for desktop software or the license for Online TurboTax:

https://turbotax.intuit.com/corp/softwarelicense.jsp

If you have questions about the license, as a SuperUser you can ask them directly in the Lounge.

Education

I've contacted my senator Chuck Grassley to help investigate this. Maybe other should contact their congress member's. This is not right and may be fraudulent. 

Education

Another thought came to mind, perhaps the IRS should be notified. The IRS is hooked up with them for electronic returns and refunds. I am thinking that there might be a lot of tax payers that might get into issues.

I believe that it is all about marketing their product by preempting other competitors in their early, and not fully tested, release. During the weeks before tax deadline they do upgrades by spying on their clients returns to catch possible errors, as the clients fill in their tax data on the various forms.

Education

Whoa people!  I am as just as ticked off about the lack of details in updates (I've 'complained' many many years about this) and I was upset when I heard they wouldn't be doing this in t/y 2019.  But that's a FAR cry from them 'snooping' or possible questionable business practices.  I think we all need to get a grip.

Education

Sorry, but I see issuing software updates on financial programs without providing release notes unethical.  Between this and the immediate "OK we know it's taking a little more than a moment" message on the splash screen as a sign that the vendor has no confidence in their product.  I've said it before, but the coding team should be pretty embarrassed by this. 

Education

Fine.  I've decided to stop supporting such an arrogant company that sees no reason to tell me what's it's doing with the program I use to file my taxes.   I've used TurboTax since 1995 but I won't be using it for 2020 taxes.

Education

As of this date, the 'more detail' link resolves to a 404 page.

Curious if you noticed the title of the Updates status window - mine was TT 2018, so it seems clear "recycling" is in vogue at the SW corral.

Given the annual costs levied, I'm more than a little disappointed at this.  TT is gonna kill the Golden Goose.

Education

A very pertinent question

Why should any of us trust these alleged programmers? I'm really sick of being directed to the same 'TurboTax Help has moved' message when trying to see what was updated.

2019 tax year could be my last...

Education

We have to keep using TT because in this market driven economy (a very big lie) Intuit is a monopoly and nobody cares, so that like others (Microsoft, Google, etc) those who can do, don't. Very simple, but what is really frustrated is that we are considered idiots, because those guys from Intuit do not know anything about american history and how the crooks have been punished.

Education

At least you got something. This is a progress. In the past I did not get anything. 🙂

Education

TurboTax may indeed be screwing up, but who knows why?  It's not some government conspiracy.

I'm surprised you seem so powerless.  There are many options to using TurboTax.  I had switched away to another software package for a long time, but I came back to TT because it solved my immediate problem.

What's wrong with rolling up your shirtsleeves and doing the work yourself?  There are tons of instructions from the IRS, plenty of online help etc.

Please stop with the whining and the conspiracy mongering.  The company may be too big to care, but they are not too big to fail either.

zinj
Level 2

Education

I have reported this issue 6 times since late December (it's now March 4, 2020).  

The short answer is that Intuit just doesn't care.  It looks so sloppy, but Intuit DOES NOT CARE.

This should be the easiest fix imaginable -- just spend 10 seconds to correct the html link.  It's not a calculation error.  It's not a missing form, it's not a missing feature, it's not file import/upload problem.  It is a simple broken reference.

Intuit DOES NOT CARE.

Buy the software and shut up.

Last year I had a state tax form that would calculate correctly and would show up in the "forms" view, but mysteriously disappeared during print.  TurboTax was able to replicate the error, but was clueless about how to fix it.  I had to do the form by hand and append to my return and mail it in that way.  Got my 2018 software fee refunded, but I don't know (yet) if they ever got around to fixing the issue.

2006-2009: I reported a technicality that was wrong with municipal bonds.  Basically TurboTax had been coded with "radio buttons" (only one of a list of several may be selected) rather than "checkboxes" (more than one may be selected).  It only was an issue if you had to amortize the bond premium on certain municipal bonds. 

The error recurred for 3 years, after which point I no longer had the bonds and so stopped looking for it.  TurboTax was not willing/ able to fix it despite my citing chapter and verse of the tax code showing exactly why they should.

Point is, if you're waiting for a fix, and it doesn't gum up a great many returns (in this case it's merely informational), TurboTax probably will let you down.