echorner

Box one of my 1098t is blank, yet I paid my tuition.

box one of my 1098t is blank, yet I paid my tuition.
Patrice

Education

The IRS instructs institutions to report either payments received (Box 1) or amounts billed for qualified tuition and related expenses (Box 2) on the 1098-T.  Depending on the Institution, they may report the billed amount (Box 2).  Therefore, payments received (Box 1) will be blank.

This is very common for box 1 or box 2 to be blank on your 1098-T.   The IRS instructs institutions to report either payments received (Box 1) or amounts billed for qualified tuition and related expenses (Box 2) on the 1098-T.  Depending on the Institution, they may report the billed amount (Box 2).  Therefore, payments received (Box 1) will be blank.

In TurboTax, you should enter the information from the 1098-T EXACTLY as printed.  Do not put any amount in box 1 if there isn't a number in there.  

Schools can report a student's qualified expenses one of two ways: based on how much the student actually paid during the year, or based on how much the school billed the student during the year. If the school reports the amount paid, it puts that figure in Box 1 of the form. If it reports the amount billed, it does so in Box 2. (A school generally has to use the same reporting method every year. If it changes its method -- which requires IRS approval -- it puts a check mark in Box 3. This box is here primarily for the IRS's information, not the student