New Member

Im a college student and my sister is filling me on her taxes. How will my 1098t effect her taxes, and can i still file for my own taxes withheld.

Level 15


A dependent cannot get education credits.  The person claiming the dependent gets the education credit.

If you are someone else's dependent you can still file your own tax return to seek a refund of tax withheld, but you MUST say in My Info that you can be claimed as a dependent on someone else's tax return.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Level 15


"The person claiming the dependent gets the education credit".  Your sister enters the 1098-T, on her tax return.  


With the tax law change, effective 2018, most students will get the same refund whether they claim themselves or not. The personal exemption has been eliminated and the standard deduction increased.