I am trying to enter my dependents 1098t information but when I select add a student to list his name it will only list my name

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

Education

Have you listed your dependent as a dependent in the my info section of your return? Scroll through those questions to see if you did enter his/her information, including the social security number. After entering this information, turbo tax will indicate if he/she is qualified to be your dependent.  If the program indicates they do not qualify as your dependent, it will indicate the reason why. You will then need to edit your dependents information.

Once they qualify, you should their name listed in the add an student drop down menu.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
ARC15

Education

I have the same issue. My son’s info is listed, he is my listed dependent, but the 1098-T workflow only enters me personally as a student no matter how many times I delete myself or click add a student. In fact, clicking add a student directly jumps to the form and the question to download or manually enter info. If I manually enter info, it pulls in tax credits based on me that I do not qualify for because I’m not the student. I think there’s just going to be money left on the table because this section doesn’t work.

ARC15

Education

I figured this out. It is really user unfriendly. On the 1098-T page is asks, “Did you qualify for a 1098-T?” If you’re the parent, say no. Then it asks if you need to file an exception, SAY YES! THEN it takes you to a page where you can pick your dependent from the list. That is needlessly complicated.