anknowles

Full time master's student

I work full time (teacher) and I am a full time student in the master's program. Do I qualify as a full time student? 

SusanY1
Expert Alumni

Education

Yes, you qualify as a full-time student as long as you attended school for at least five months (they do not need to be consecutive) and were enrolled for the number of credit hours that your school or program considers to be full-time.

It is possible to be both a full-time employee and a full-time student in the same year.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Education

And what are you trying to do with that information?  If you are over the age of 23 then being a full-time student will not help your parents or anyone else claim you as a dependent since as a full-time teacher you must be earning over $4200 per year.  

As for education credits you can explore the Lifetime Learning Credit.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/3262984-who-is-eligible-for-the-lifetime-learning-credit

And ---

TEACHER EXPENSES

Go to Federal>Deductions and Credits>Employment Expenses>Teacher (Educator) Expenses

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Carl
Level 15

Education

Each school has their own definition of a full time student, and the IRS goes by what the school says. So only the school where you are enrolled can clarify that status for you.

If you'll look on your 1098-T (if you received one) there's a checkbox in box 8 for "check if at least half-time student" Some colleges will check that box because if you're a full time student, then you are "at least" a half time student. Others will not check that box. But not checking it doesn't mean you're not full time.

Generally if you are working a full time job, it's extremely difficult, though not impossible to be a full time student too. So that's why you need to get clarification with your school.