Program Updates

T/T just updated my program to the 7/19/19 version.  when I click the "MORE DETAILS" hyperlink, it brings me to a generic page https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/home/misc/03/en-us for BOTH the Program Updates and Federal Tax Forms updates that were in the successful update box.  Where's the details??  How does one find out what was in these updates, this worked fine earlier this year.  (The Program Update box even has the word "CRITICAL" so I want to see what happened here.)

Education

The More Details link has been broken for several months waiting for a fix from the TurboTax programmers.  As yet, no fix.

See this TurboTax support FAQ for the latest release information - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/turbotax-release-notes-for-windows-personal-ta...

View solution in original post

Education

Thank you.  I don't get why this continues to be such a problem with them.  When the tax season opens, it takes months for the links to eventually work, now they don't work again.  This is what we used to call in the business (I designed operating systems for a rather large computer company for 30+ years) a SMOP..."a small matter of programming".  It always amazes me that if they can't get this simple thing to point to a documentation file correctly, why do I  trust the program to actually perform accurately in the tax calculations???

Anonymous
Not applicable

Education

when I started preparing tax returns decades ago, there were no computers so they had to be done by hand.  I could carry a copy of the Internal Revenue Code  - 1 volume that could be carried in one hand.  over the next 5 decades the US Congress has seen fit to make the code so complicated only the simplest returns can be prepared correctly by hand.  Your concern about accuracy is the same that pro's using software costing many thousands of dollars have.   There is no way to be sure.  For a fact, this year's IRS's original worksheet for computing the Capital Gains Tax contained an error that affected some filers.  Since some software providers like TT followed the IRS worksheet,  some of its filers were affected.  The IRS didn't catch or fix the error until after the 4/15 filing deadline.  During my career I have seen IRS notices saying taxpayers returns were wrong to be in error.  So you see even the IRS gets it wrong.  At least TT offers to pay penalties and interest if its computations are wrong.    

Education

Just to let you know, Turbotax now is showing updates for 8/14/2019, but still no details. Exasperating.

Education

It is very surprising . Until today, I did not have troubles to read about update content. I tried to see the 8/14/2019 updates and I could not. I got to a generic page.

Regarding 8/14/2019 update TT mentions that is critical. And I cannot see it. Very strange.

Maybe some people at Intuit  are paid from competition to do a bad job. Or this is the beginning of the end.

I will regret if so. 

clipboard_image_0.png

Education

Ha, I was updated to level 3. Is this a joke?

Education

Level 3?  What's that?  Are you talking about the Turbo Tax versions?  There is the Free Edition, Deluxe, Premier and the Self Employed version.

Education

I think the user may be referring to achieving "Level 3" status for his profile in this user forum.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/339142

Education

That link covers updates through May 24.  We are way past that with at least three subsequent updates, two of them labeled critical.  Do we have any way of knowing what was changed?

My tax changed.  I had to track it down to a change in the Schedule D Tax Worksheet. 

Education

@NebularNovice The Release Notes support FAQ was originally posted on May 24.  There have been multiple updates since then.  The last being on September 10 for Release 47

Education

Thanks for the info.  I naively used the link posted in a reply above.  That reports updates through May 24.  I also searched for "Release Notes support FAQ," No help.

Where is the updated FAQ?

Education

Thanks.  My apologies for not reading more carefully.  (There is a later release, but I assume they will get to that soon.)

The change to the Schedule D Tax Worksheet could have simply been incorporating an IRS change in their Schedule D instructions. It is not mentioned in the release notes.

Education

I'm new to this forum, so I'm not sure if this is the right place to post my question, although my question relates to updates.

Now that I've read the replies on this thread, perhaps I can answer this myself.  The answer being that TT is running way behind in having working, up-to-date links to the update information.

So, here's my story.  I started TT today and was prompted to have TT updated.  I did.  When the updating was done, the window said the updates were released on 9/25/2019.  I too clicked the link to find out details about the change.  The link take me to https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/home/misc/03/en-us.  I found a thread that linked me to the updates https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/3169946-turbotax-2018-release-notes-for-windows-personal-tax-softw...

Screenshot (155).png

So, as you can see, the page starts by saying the latest update is dated September 10. 

I've included the update window that says my update was released 9/25/2019 so you can see what threw me off.  It's unnerving to think that I've downloaded a suspicious update.  This is a piece of software that we all have to put a lot of trust into.  But this is what it is?