Why am I being told to take the Standard Deduction when my deductible school expenses were higher?

I want to deduct some of my school expenses (books, tuition, etc.), but I keep being told to take a standard deduction instead. Why is this?
KrisD
Intuit Alumni

Education

The standard deduction does not involve education expenses.

The standard deduction is taken if the Itemized Deductions on Schedule A for the following do not add up to be more than the standard deduction, which for tax year 2016 is $6,300 single, $12,600 Married Filing Jointly:

Medical expenses over 10% of Adjusted Gross Income

Other taxes paid, such as State and local taxes

Home mortgage interest paid

Charitable donations

Casually loss

Job expenses over 2% of Adjusted Gross Income

Other miscellaneous deductions.

EDUCATION EXPENSES are not included, they are used for a separate Education Credit (such as the American Opportunity Tax Credit, or Lifetime Learning Credit) or the Tuition and Fees deduction.

View solution in original post

Lindsey61

Education

Why cant I deduct my family education expenses this year? 

Education

@Lindsey61 Please clarify what you are asking.  You have posted to this thread and started another one--neither one is clear.  We do not know what you are trying to ask about.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**