Where do I enter what I paid the school for tuition on Education Expense? The box 1 on the 1098-T isn't filled out and per the school they don't put payments on the 1098T

I have entered the 1098-T but the scholarship box is greater than the billing box by $726, however I paid $2300 to the school for tuition + books. Where do I enter the payments I paid? Other Education Expense?
AnnaB

Education

When entering your Form 1098-T, there is a link below Box 2.  The link says What if this is not what I paid to this school?.  That is where you can edit your tuition for amounts actually paid during the tax year.  If your books are eligible expenses for one of the credits, you should be able to enter these under Other Education Expenses.  Please see the Learn More or Explain This links for information regarding qualified expenses.  There are strict rules for books, but they vary depending on the credit claimed.

View solution in original post

debysusy

Education

i dont have a link under box 2.  I didnt even see where to enter the 1098 t.  I was only able to enter the scholarship not the tuition expense of over $9k.  Please clarify
AnnaB

Education

Please follow the instructions below to enter the expenses from your Form 1098-T.

If you are using TurboTax Online, except Home & Business

1. Click on Federal Taxes, then Deductions & Credits, you may need to click Continue
2. Check your list for Expenses and Scholarships; if you don't see it listed, click on Check for other tax breaks
3. Click on Jump to full list
4. Scroll down to Education and click on Show more
5. Click on Start/Edit next to Expenses and Scholarships

If you are using TurboTax Desktop or TurboTax Online Home & Business

1. Click on Federal Taxes (Personal, if using Home & Business)
2. Click on Deductions & Credits
3. Select I'll choose what I work on
4. Find Expenses and Scholarships under the Education category, click on Start/Update