1098T states no tuition paid (box 1) billed 10,000 (box 2) but scholarship paid out $11,000 (box 5) . Do I add my tuition payment to the scholarship payment or not?

Patrice

Education

No, you would not add the tuition payment to the scholarship payment however in TurboTax there is a section you can add tuition paid that is not listed on your 1098-T.  See below

Form 1098-T is for informational purposes and its quite common for the data to be off. Follow the outlined instructions below to enter your 1098-T data:

Don't enter your 1098-T if your employer reimbursed you for the tuition. Otherwise:

1. Open (continue) your return in TurboTax, if it's not already open.
  2. In the search box, search for 1098-T or 1098T (lower-case works also) and then click the "Jump to" link in the search results.
  3. Answer Yes to Do you want to enter your higher education expenses?
  • If you land on the Let's estimate how much you could get this year, click Skip this.
  • If you land on the Your Education Expenses Summary screen, first select Edit next to an existing student or select Add a new one before proceeding.
  • Answer any questions that follow. After a few screens, you'll be asked if you received a 1098-T. Answer Yes and click Continue.
  • Enter your Form 1098-T exactly as you see it, even if you think it's wrong. Here are some important tips:
    • If any boxes on your 1098-T are blank, leave them blank. Don't enter 0 (this may cause errors later).
    • If boxes 1 or 2 on your 1098-T form are wrong, enter those amounts anyway. Then click What if this is not what I paid? right below box 2 and enter the correct amount of tuition paid. (see screenshot below)
    • Don't include grants not already listed in Box 5. We'll ask about those later.
  • Click Continue when you're done entering the information from your 1098-T. Answer any additional questions on the following screens.
  • View solution in original post