Does end date of 1041 short return have to be the end of a month

I was planning on end date of 7/31/22 for 1041 short return, but the final legal fees did not post as paid from the last of the IOLTA until August 2, 2200.  This is the last thing I have to do to close the estate.  I know there is no more income coming and all distributions are complete.  The estate is complete.  Does the return now have to go to August 31?  Do  I have to wait until September 1 2022 to sign and date and mail this return or can I date it earlier and mail it?

Business & farm

Tax years end on the last day of the month.

Regardless, you can sign, print and mail the return before it is due.

View solution in original post

Business & farm

you say the payment didn't post until 8/2. do you mean cleared the bank? if so and you actually sent the payment in July then I would use 7/31. 

Business & farm

The money was in the IOLTA trust for the estate so it was paid by the trust.  The invoice is dated earlier but  Aug 2 is the day it was paid by the trust (the lawyer's book keeper did this).  I funded the trust when I first hired the lawyer a couple years ago.

Business & farm

Just to be sure - I can sign and date my return 8/15/22 and put the end of the fiscal year on the top of the form as 8/31/22?

Business & farm

Yes. You are simply signing the return and filing it prior to the due date.

Business & farm

Thank You.