What is a Sch D-1 p1 Form? I do not have any business stuff

I am not able to finish filing because it is asking me about this form and for Sale of Business Property.
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

Business & farm

Schedule D-1 is a California schedule  used to report the sale of business property. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Business & farm

I did not sell a business or business property, how do I get rid of this requirement. 

gloriah5200
Expert Alumni

Business & farm

Schedule D-1 is the first "continuation" page of capital gains/losses transactions.  Capital gains and losses are considered owned by the taxpayer, not owned by a business.  So they are not business assets, but instead, personal assets sold.

Once the available lines on the actual Schedule D of the return is full, it then carries the remainder to the Schedule D-1 Continuation Sheet.

Generally, if the cost basis of all transactions are considered "reported" to IRS, then the 8949 does not have to be completed and the transactions just go to the Sch D.  

OR

If the 8949 is used, then the transactions are also listed by holding periods and category on Form 8949 and then carry to Schedule D and any remaining carry to the D-1.

[Edited 02/21/2021|5:44 pm PST]

Business & farm

Please advise how to continue taxes, I don’t have sale of business property, why does it say I need sch D-1p1?

GeorgeM777
Expert Alumni

Business & farm

As noted in previous responses from @ThomasM125 and @gloriah5200, California does have a Schedule D-1 tax form that relates to the sale of business property.  On the federal return, there is a Schedule D (notice the federal form has a "D" not a "D-1) and the Schedule D is used to report capital gains and losses.  

If you have neither of the above entries to make--the sale of business property or capital gains or losses--then perhaps you can just delete this form if it is unnecessary.   Deleting this unnecessary form may resolve the issue.  Here are the steps to delete a form in TurboTax.

1. Open or continue your return in TurboTax.
  2. In the left menu, select Tax Tools and then Tools.
  3. In the pop-up window Tool Center, choose Delete a form.
  4. Select Delete next to the form/schedule/worksheet in the list and follow the instructions.

Here is a link to a TurboTax article discussing how to delete a form which you also may find helpful.

How to View and Delete Forms in TurboTax Online

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"