How do you close a sole proprietor business?

I need to close a small business from 2017 and can't figure out how to depreciate out everything. I also don't know which turbo tax program I need I was thinking could do deluxe?

ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

Business & farm

No, you will need Self-Employed or Home and Business. You will encounter a screen that asks if you started or stopped your business. Indicate that you stopped.

Since you filed Schedule C in the past (such as sole proprietorship or single member LLC), closing a business couldn't be easier.  TurboTax will ask you if you disposed of your business during the year. Once answered - there is nothing else to do for your income tax return.  No additional forms are needed.

For more info covering different situations, see this posting for how to close (abandon) a sole-proprietorship previously reported on Schedule C:

To delete a business you have been reporting on Schedule C, you will stop filing the Schedule C. 

You should file a “final” Schedule C in the year you ceased operations. This will permit you to “dispose” of any business assets you have been depreciating so TurboTax can calculate any gain or loss on the sale.  Supplies, such as paper, inventory and raw materials, do not have to be accounted for unless you deducted the costs before and sell them. 

Delete the Schedule C in the following tax year.

You should keep a record of how much depreciation you claimed (if any) for the home office space. Your basis in the home (your cost) is reduced by the amount you were able to deduct as depreciation. Although it is rare, that may have an effect on the tax consequences if and when you sell your home.  If you weren't able to claim a home office deduction in any year or years (insufficient taxable income), the depreciation for those years can be ignored. 

Please see this LINK for more information.

View solution in original post