capntangen
Returning Member

I had a business as a sole proprietorship for about 5 years and had some years of profit and some of loss. In 2019, I paid the franchise tax and did some advertising,

(I converted to an LLC in 2018), but I didn't actually lead or arrange any trips (it's a travel company) in 2019, so I made $0. I submitted the paperwork to close the LLC in 2019, since I wasn't making any money. I now need to mark final Schedule C, I believe. Should I just do that and not report any losses or can I still report my losses (even though I didn't make any money). Will it flag it as a hobby or something?
RobertG
Expert Alumni

Business & farm

If you had ordinary and necessary business expenses in 2019 for an ongoing business, you should claim them.  

As long as you were in business to make a profit, your expenses are deductible.

Showing a loss doesn't make the business a hobby, and not reporting losses doesn't make it a business engaged in for profit.

IRC § 183(d) provides a presumption that an activity is engaged in for profit if the activity is profitable for 3 years of a consecutive 5 year period or 2 years of a consecutive 7 year period for activities that consist of breeding, showing, training, or racing horses.

The Internal Revenue Service allows you to take a tax deduction for legitimate losses incurred in the operation of your business. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
capntangen
Returning Member

Business & farm

Thanks. I don't remember how many years of profit and loss I had. But let's say that this would make it the third out of five years that I lost money, however I also already took steps to close it since it wasn't profitable . . .