Is this question about excess fica new. Its popping up and i can't complete my return. What info is required for this question?

DavidS127
Expert Alumni

Business & farm

TurboTax has calculated, based on your entries, that too much social security was withheld from your wages.  Here's how to check your TurboTax entries to find the issue:

• Check to see if your W-2 form(s) are correctly entered into TurboTax.  In particular, check that the boxes 3, 4, 5, and 6 are correctly entered (actual W-2 versus TurboTax box).
  • If you are filing a joint return with your spouse, check that the W-2s are entered for the correct taxpayer name, and that you did not inadvertently enter both as belonging to the same person.
  • If you have only one W-2 employer and the W-2 is correctly entered, divide the box 4 amount by the box 3 amount (box 4/box3).  If the result is more than .062 (6.2%), your employer withheld too much social security and you will need to obtain a corrected W-2 before you can complete your tax return.
  • If you have more than one W-2 employer and the combined wages from both W-2s are more than $132,900, you paid more than the maximum social security for the year.  In this situation, TurboTax will add the excess social security to line 11 of Schedule 3, and it will be refunded or reduce the balance you owe.

You can check your Schedule C in TurboTax Online by clicking Tax Tools>Tools>View Tax Summary>(on the left bar) Preview My 1040. (Tip: when you are ready to exit Preview my 1040, click Back on the left bar)  Scroll down to Schedule 3 and check line 11.  If there is an amount there, TurboTax has calculated that you paid too much social security.  Running the checks outlined above should diagnose the source of the excess.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
scubajbr1

Business & farm

Yes, this is preventing me from filing my taxes!!!! This is clearly a software bug. I have done all of the suggested fixes from other peoples posts. What am I to do now?????

scubajbr1

Business & farm

The issue for me came up during the Smart Review step, which prompted an error regarding "Excess FICA withheld" followed by a value in the associated box of [    1.], which prevented me from filing my taxes. I got online with customer support via a share my screen event. Turns out previously when I tried to remove the "1." by leaving the box blank and hit return did not resolve the issue. However, by placing a "0" in the field, it did update the value and allow me to file my taxes. I still believe this would be considered a software bug! Many thanks to my wonderful customer service representative!

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

Business & farm

Sometimes these fixes seem redundant but are necessary. Turbo Tax is an excellent product but is a work in progress like all software programs.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"