Form W-2 in QEF uses 2018 social security wage base instead of new value for 2019 ($132,900)

Using the online (recommended) method to create form W-2, the 2019 form still uses the 2018 social security wage base ($128,400) and gives errors when i override with the correct IRS value for 2019 ($132,900).

Business & farm

I am having the same issue. I first ran into this on December 20th and I just verified that the problem still exists today December 30, 2019. 

Business & farm

QEF is never up to date until early january ... try again in a week or 2. 

Business & farm

I appreciate the suggestion to wait and I could accept that it is an "out of date" issue if the year at the top of the form (2019) aligned with the social security wage base limit for that year.  It does not and therefore is an Intuit error.  If they can figure out what the year is, they can get and use the correct information from the IRS.  

Business & farm

Sorry but as I said the QEF & the TT program are never fully operational until mid Jan usually...if you try to print or efile  the W-2/W-3 forms now you will get an error message.  

hosmercpas
Returning Member

Business & farm

Still a problem on 1/7/2020.  After lengthy time of customer service escalating my call, found out they have until 1/15/2020 to have the wage base corrected and ready to efile. 

If paper filing before 1/15/2020 guess you just need to be aware of wage base and make sure you use correct amount ($132,900 base, $8,239.80 social security withholding).

Business & farm

Business & farm

@hosmercpas    Why would anyone paper file the forms when you can efile them for free ... simply tell the employees that the forms will not be available until after the 15th ... the IRS will not process anything prior to 1/27 anyway and until the information on their return can be verified by your information their returns will be on hold.   If you mail in the forms this means their returns will be held up until some data input operator gets your paper forms and enters them in the system ... I know of many lengthy delays that have happened by mailed in W-2/W-3 forms so DON'T do it.  Patience is a virtue. 

Business & farm

TT is using the 2018 social security wage base for 2019, not the wrong rate.  Their post says they are investigating the issue.  Good for them.  I suggest they start at irs.gov and look for the 2019 Publication 15b.

Business & farm

The QEF program, like everything else, is bound to have glitches and bugs and they are working to correct the issue ... complaining about the FREE add  on program will not get it fixed any faster.   

You do have the option to use the FIRE system instead ...

I HIGHLY recommend you use the FREE service on the SSA web site to file those forms.  It is a direct filing and doesn't have the limitations of the QEF program.  

https://www.ssa.gov/employer/ 

https://www.irs.gov/tax-professionals/e-file-providers-partners/filing-information-returns-electroni...

https://www.ssa.gov/employer/W2checklist.htm