I am entering business expenses and on the "miscellaneous expense" section, a line shows up labeled "Section 465(d) carryover with an amount of $488.

I don't understand what the line is referencing and so I tried to remove it but when I delete the line and the amount and click "continue," the amount reappears on the summary page.
PatriciaR

Business & farm

A Section 465 (d) carryover refers to the ‘at-risk’ rules of Section 465 of the Internal Revenue Code.  Under that section, your losses are limited to the amount you have at risk in the activity.  A loss that was disallowed because of the at-risk rules is generally treated as a deduction from the same activity in the following tax year (ie. carried over).

The amount you see for Section 465(d) carryover is the amount of loss you weren't able to take last year, but may be able to take this year.

If you are certain you didn't have a Section 465 (d) carryover from prior years, you can clear this up by adding a negative "Miscellaneous" expense  and describe it as  "Section 465 (d) carryover offset".  

For more information see IRS Pub. 925 - Passive Activity and At-Risk Rules