When to issue K1

I am the executor of my late Aunt's estate, the will is still in probate, do I need to file an estate return (not for estate tax the value does not require that) also when do I issue the K1's to the beneficiaries, she dies in 2017 but the estate is still being probated in 2018 so do I list distributions on the estate filing and at what point do I issue the K1"s?

Thank you

PaulaM
Employee Tax Expert

Business & farm

K-1's would be issued anytime that you distributed amounts to the beneficiaries of the estate. If you have not yet distributed estate funds, then no K-1's are required for 2017.

See this helpful article below.

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/estates/what-is-a-schedule-k-1-form-1041-estates-and-trusts/L6X...

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Business & farm

Thank you, in doing the NY State return it says a K1 is required to be attached, so do I just NOT list that there were any beneficiaries when doing 1041 for 2017 and in 2018 add them?
PaulaM
Employee Tax Expert

Business & farm

Correct. K-1's are not issued until estate funds are distributed. Issue K-1's in 2018 when funds are distributed.

Business & farm

So I do not list any beneficiaries on the 2017 1041 is that correct ?

Business & farm

So I do not list any beneficiaries on the 2017 1041 is that correct ?
PaulaM
Employee Tax Expert

Business & farm

That is correct. If you have not made any distributions, then there is no K-1 to attach. No beneficiary information is needed.

Business & farm

Thank you, so to be clear I do NOT list myself as a beneficiary either until 2018 return when distributions are done?
PaulaM
Employee Tax Expert

Business & farm

Correct.

Business & farm

I am the executor of my sister's estate and the estate checking account. We are in the middle of probate and I received a tax statement for the interest on the account along with the interest statement from another bank where she had a saving account which was merged into the estate account.  Do I need to file income tax for the estate account for 2019?  I already filed her taxes 2018 recently which was the year she passed away. Thanks

Business & farm

@MichelleVC33 wrote:

Do I need to file income tax for the estate account for 2019?  

A 1041 is required if the estate had gross income for the year of $600 or more.

See https://www.irs.gov/instructions/i1041#idm140630132235568

Business & farm

Thanks for the information.