DandyD1

I have an entry for 'Unrecaptured Section 1250 gain' on a 1099-Div box 2b. Why is TurboTax not putting this entry on line 19 for Schedule D?

Business & farm

From the 1099-div, it is copied to line 11 of the unrecaptured section 1250 worksheet. Go to forms mode and click on it in the left pane to bring it up. Review the entries from line 11 thru line 18

View solution in original post

Business & farm

When I look at my unrecaptured section 1250 worksheet there is a value on line 18 of $248 and it says this value should be entered on Schedule D line 19. When I look at Schedule D line 19 the value shown is $0. When I try to override the $0 value with $248, there is a worksheet error message with a red exclamation point and the program will not use the override value in the calculations. Is this a bug in the program or am I missing something?

Business & farm

Well, I found the reason after some trial & error. If line 16 on Schedule D is $0 or a loss, the program skips lines 17 through 20 or 21 and zeros them out. I had a loss on line 16 as it were, and when I tried to enter a value in line 19, it gave me the error. I know now that Section 1250 gains are offset by long term capital losses 😉 Learning the hard way I guess...