My husband as a small business. Do we do not have enough expenses to itemized because they have changed the minimum amount. Do we need to itemize his expenses.

Business & farm

Don't confuse itemized deductions on schedule A with your business expenses/deductions on schedule C. They are separate. For Schedule A personal deductions, you get to take your itemized deductions or the standard deduction, whichever is larger.

There is no min amount or standard amount for schedule C business expenses.  You get to take both your Standard Deduction or itemized deductions on Schedule A AND all your business expenses.

View solution in original post

Business & farm

Thank you, that clarifies this for me.  The standard deduction on the schedule A is larger, do I still need to provide all the documentation as if I was itemizing?
WillK
Intuit Alumni

Business & farm

For his business, you should claim all the income and expenses of the business. His business expense and income are considered separate from your itemized deductions you can claim on your return. Turbo Tax will walk you through how to report his income and expenses along with your other tax items as well. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Business & farm

Yes you helped me!  Can I take the standard deduction for his vehicle?  His record keeping was not the best.
WillK
Intuit Alumni

Business & farm

Yes you can. If he did not keep the best records you can do that.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Business & farm

How do I put that it?  Because TT is telling me that I need to provide a listing of all expenses?