takesean

I started an LLC in 2016. When is the due date for filing start-up and organization cost? And is the tax filing for LLC separate from my personal tax submission?

I started an single-owned LLC in 2016. When is the due date for filing start-up and organization cost? And is the tax filing for LLC separate from my personal tax submission?

Business & farm

Unless your (sole-member) LLC elects to be treated as an S-Corp or C-Corp it has no separate income tax filing requirement at the federal level.  It's considered a "disregarded" entity and you report its activities on Schedule C of your Form 1040.  While I expect most states take the same position as the federal government with respect to an "income tax return" for the LLC, there almost certainly are other annual state-level filing requirements so the state can extract an fee from you for the "privilege" of forming an LLC in their jurisdiction.

I don't know what you mean by "due date for filing start-up and organization costs."  Typically these costs are capitalized and then amortized over some period of time.

Tom Young

View solution in original post

takesean

Business & farm

Thank you Tom. With re: to "due date for filing start-up and organization costs." I was not sure whether I need to file startup and organizational expenses separately for the LLC or as part of my personal tax filing. Since I have no plans to elect the single-member LLC to be treated as an S- or C-Corp, I would think that I do not need to file separately based on your input. So no other due date to observe aside from the normal tax filing due date. Is that a correct understanding?

Business & farm

Absent something required at the state level, you are correct.